Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jan 1997 18:48:13 -0500 (EST)
From:         Skip Montanaro <skip@automatrix.com>
Subject:      forwarded message from Vargsman@aol.com

This came through my inbox, but I think it was intended for the entire Vanagon list.

-- Skip Montanaro | Musi-Cal: http://concerts.calendar.com/ skip@calendar.com | "It doesn't matter where you get your appetite as (518)372-5583 | long as you eat at home." -- Sloan Wainwright

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) ------- Return-Path: <Vargsman@aol.com> Received: from killer-whale.automatrix.com (killer-whale.automatrix.com [198.69.28.254]) by dolphin.automatrix.com (8.8.3/8.8.3) with ESMTP id RAA09649 for <skip@dolphin.automatrix.com>; Fri, 10 Jan 1997 17:59:42 -0500 (EST) Received: from emout10.mail.aol.com (emout10.mx.aol.com [198.81.11.25]) by killer-whale.automatrix.com (8.8.3/8.8.3) with ESMTP id RAA28349 for <skip@automatrix.com>; Fri, 10 Jan 1997 17:59:41 -0500 (EST) Received: (from root@localhost) by emout10.mail.aol.com (8.7.6/8.7.3/AOL-2.0.0) id RAA17381 for skip@automatrix.com; Fri, 10 Jan 1997 17:59:04 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970110174733_1723962268@emout10.mail.aol.com> >From: Vargsman@aol.com To: skip@automatrix.com Subject: wanna here a story? Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 17:59:04 -0500 (EST)

Let me explain my recent trip through Columbus to all my friends at the vanagon mailing list. I have a 1983 VW Vanagon-- the last of the air-cooleds!!! Had it been completely up to a Dr. James Cowan in Columbus, the "import doctor" as he prefers to refer to himself, it would have lost its status as last of the air cooleds because it would have ceased to exist.

On my way from, Indianapolis to Philadelphia, I broke down on the outskirts of Columbus and the good doctor appeared on the highway to offer assistance. He was very helpful and a member of LIMBO so I couldn't believe my good fortune. He had my van towed to his shop and promised to take a look at it. He did, and the situation was poor. A previously improperly sealed gasket had allowed the oil to vaporize resulting in the engine running on empty--oil that is. I had lost my black gold or texas tea all over the interstate and unbeknownst to me at the time, my "savior" would prove to have the mechanical prowess and professionalism of Jed Clampett. I arranged to have Dr. Cowan "fix" my van to the tune of $1500-- a sour tune as might be able to guess-- and I would pick it up at 5pm a week later. I understand delays occur, but I must admit to have been a little disappointed to have found the entire engine still disassembled-- sweet dreams and german machines in pieces on the ground. He did not finish work until 2am. From watching him "operate", I suspect this had less to do with his being a hard worker than the possibility he had mostly squandered the first 3 days as by his own admission he had "been working non stop on this the last 2 days." To which I replied, "you've had a week." Silence. But, to be fair, things creep up to cause delays and I paid him in good faith. I was confident the van would be in fine shape thereafter as he had promised both my father and I that "now that it was done right, the van will last into the 100,000s." I should have asked if this figure was calculated in miles or seconds. Two weeks later, I broke down again. AAA towed me to a hotel and I called Dr. Cowan. His assistant assured me "everything would be taken care of except transportation as no mechanic takes care of that." Well, she was partly correct. Except that this mechanic didn't take care of anything let alone transportation to another mechanic who found slipshod work previously performed by the good doctor. Jim promised he would take care of expenses and in a gesture to prove his bedside manner revoked on that promise and sent us a warm but terse note that he was not responsible for any damages and that furthermore any inquiries should be directed to his lawyer. Warms the heart to know that there are such good people in the world, huh? Although he is a member of LIMBO, I do not think he displays the qualities that most stranded travellers are seeking. To be fair, LIMBO has already sent their official disapproval of his actions. Please feel free to respond with similar stories, compassion, comments, and/or advice.

Sincerely,

vargsman@aol.com ------- end -------