Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Jan 1997 17:53:18 -0500 (EST)
From:         David Raistrick <xi8940@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Subject:      My Dream Gauge...

With all the talk of gaugues, gauge accuracy, and what not lately, combined with me being bored today, have finially conviced me to make public my idea for the ultimate gauge..i'm crossposting it to the vangon, type2, and vintagvw list cause its relativly relevent to all three.

Now, its based around one of the singlechip computers that i've delt with. not sure which one yet, since i havent dealt with that stuff in a while.

Its also based (in my head) around a upright type 1 or 2 motor. and easily modified to fit others, i'm sure..

The screen isnt quite concrete yet either. depends alot on where it would have to mount.

The user controls would be very simple though. an up and Down arrow. That keeps it very simple, and univeral, no matter what the propgramming is.

Depending o how far in depth the particular prommaing is, depends on how many differnt screens there whould be. er..make that pages..:)

First, where we are measuring, and what.

Oil temp. Measured at the sump, each rockerchamber, and a full flow location. Oil pressure, at the stock place (any other places we should measure?) Head temp, each of them. Exhaust temp, four of them. one at each exhaust outlet. maybe the simpler version measured at the collector. (gotta have a header tho!) Air/fuel mixture. throat of the manifold i guess, never seen one of these gauges so i'm guessing. All your hydrocarbon stuff for emmisions! moitored wherever it should be. MPG, computed from miles, and amount of fuel..guess that would require more sensors, like at the tank, some how..hmm..how do the ones in the JCW catalog do it?(or kmPL, fer you metrics..) Speed. RPM (for you water's, water temp..:) exhaust dB, at end of tailpipe, just fer kicks..:) tranny temp! where to monitor it though? Engine compartment temp what else...ideas? ( had it totally designed in my head one night..:) Oh! chargin output, ampmeter, battery voltage

What you see, and when.. the main one would be a uncluttered view of constantly adjusting oil pressure, oil temp-full flow, speed, mpg, rpm, water temp. where applicable, air/fuel

then a page for all temps. for emmissions and whatever else is left.

all ideas here welcome..:)

Hmm..warning screen flashes when pressures or temps or RPM get outta hand.

The bigest cost wouldnt be the computer or screen, but all the sensors! and the TIME to sit and calibrate all, and program it all in. Although, one the base program was done, adding another sensor would be a breaze.

for the screen and computer, shouldnt cost mor than 200$s. maybe 250, if i had to use a larger memory computer.

Anyhow...this is my idea, based on others, but not.

could even include maintenace warnings..:) which means more buttons to tell it when you did the maintinance.

anyhow...later...david(soliciting all opinions!)

-- Mo.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.oM Keeper Of The Light: Pushing Back The Darkness at http://www.armory.com/~y21cvb/west/darkness.html

ex'74 Super http://www.armory.com/~y21cvb ex '68 Beetle '75 Retired Westy-Canadian Model, Cody '69 Westy-Itchigo xi8940@freenet.tlh.fl.us