Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jan 1997 15:28:59 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Christopher M. Smith" <csmith@sdsc.edu>
Subject:      Re: Ok you doubters, do your research first!

On Sat, 28 Dec 1996, Toby Erkson wrote:

> If anyone is still unsure about synthetic oil and you think it's just as > good as conventional oil then 1) You're wrong, and; 2) If you do some > research like I did you will see how much better the stuff really is. > Remember, technology is our friend :)

What research ? I'm curious! I would on intuition think synthetics are recyclable, but as for them being "accross-the-board" *better* than conventional "cracked" oils ... not necessarily. The specific heat of synthetics is relatively lower than conventional oils, thus they are not as good conductors/transducers of (engine) heat. Although the primary function of oil in an air-cooled engine is lubrication, the secondary is "cooling" (c.f., oil-coolers popular with older model buses or baja bugs). Thus an oils heat absorbing properties (e.i., specific heat capacity) are also a critical component of it's functionality and usefulness in any vehicle. Synthetics generally lack this functionality (relative to conventional oils). To be just to synthetics, it's also my understanding that this "problem"is addressed (to a limited degree) is via the addition of "heat-absorbing additives" to their synthetic oils.

Two other reasons I refrain from using synthetics are costs ($3-4/qt vs. $1/quart) and that I change my oil about every 3/4K miles ... not so much because of conventional oil breakdown, but because of the grim and dirt that accumulates in our oil. Synthetics don't have this breakdown "problem" (generally 12K miles/oil change), but I for one wouldn't want 12K/miles worth of grim and grit running through my engine. Conventional oil is cheap, new engines aren't.

My $0.02

Chris San Diego, CA