Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Jan 1997 18:44:06 -0800
From:         Todd Francis <tbf@pacifier.com>
Subject:      Re: Clicking from rear axle and CV wear

Lionel Tun wrote: > > I had a click-click-click from the rear axle when turning right, so I had > the left hand inner CV joint replaced. The left had done 60,000 miles and > the right had done 16,000. Both sides had new 60,000 miles ago. However a > clicking is still there. > > 0. Can I console myself that the two sides needed balancing anyway? I'm not quite sure what you mean by balancing. If you mean dynamic balancing, no you dont have to balance axle assemblys. If you mean balance as in putting new joints on each end the answer is still no. If a CV is not pitted and/or worn it is still good. You can replace either one or both if needed.

. The outer CV joints may well have done the full 183,000 miles. Could > (one of) these be the culprit(s)?

Absolutly, especially if they havn't been maintained with grease.

> 2. How do the outer and inner joints compare in terms of relative > longevity?

They do the same amount of work, they wear out in the same amoun of miles depending on how well they are greased.

> 3. The right hand side had a CV joint that only lasted 44,000 miles - isn't > this very poor performance? Could there be something that is causing the > right hand side to go wrong?

yes---Grease

> 4. Is there any other possibility for the clicking (once per wheel > revolution)? > possibly something in the brakes, but sounds more likely to be CVs. If you take them apart , be very careful to put the center star (center piece that lools like a star) back into the assembly in the same position you found it. It is possible to index it and the cv will bind. If you find the CV has light wear you can take the CV on the outside and swap positions with the CV on the tranny. The cv will now be running in the oposite direction and wearing new surfaces that have not been worn on before. Also use grease that is designed for CVs.

Todd Francis 91 Tristar 86 Westy Syncro