Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Jan 1997 09:27:31 -0800
From:         Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@halhinet.on.ca>
Subject:      Re: NEED HELP Olympian Catalytic heater installation

Mark Howser wrote: > > -- [ From: Mark Howser * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] -- > > Hello from frozen Montana, > > I purchased an Olympian 6100a catalytic heater yesterday. I installed it in > my Westy, but I'm dissatisfied with it's performance. > > To install the heater, I placed a flared t at junction where the gas was > coupled to my stove unit. Part of the t included a swivel type extender. > B/c of the swivel the connection dropped from a 3/8 to 1/4 for that > particular fitting. From the T, I ran 6ft. of 3/8 inch flexible hose that I > had the local propane co. fabricate. Approximate length of the hose is 6 > feet. The install was extremely easy. > HOWEVER, I'm still cold. . > > The owner heater manual says "the heater is designed to operate with a > manifold pressure(the gas pressure down stream from the appliance controls) > of 10.5" w.c.(0.38 psig). A gas supply pressure of 11" w.c. (0.40 psig) > minimum is required at the heater controls. The supply line must be > equipped at the cylinder with a listed regulator set to deliver the > specified pressure." > > Questions. > Is the regulator on my bus the proper size regulator? 1980 VW vanagon Westy > > Is the swivel fitting that reduces the t from 3/8 to 1/4 causing a loss in > pressure?

Not significantly at low flow rates.

> > The heater has a maximum output of 5,800 BTU/hr. Is this adequate for > heating the interior of the bus?

With about 3.4 B.T.U. per watt, your 5,800 BTU/hr is equivalent to 1700 watts. The propex heater 1600 produces 5,200 BTU/hr or about 1500 watts. A base board heater is usually 1500 watts. All are good and warm so you should be toasty. > > Any and all info would be beneficial....thanks for the time... > > Mark > -- > Mark Howser Business (406) 226-5572 > Hole in the Wall, Ltd. Home (406) 226-4412 > PO Box 318 Email mchowser@3rivers.net > East Glacier, MT 59434 > Preferred Lodging and Dining near Glacier National Park >

Life is uncertain ... eat dessert first.

Larry