Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Jan 1997 20:41:01 -0700 (MST)
From:         Cory Zumbrennen <zumbrenn@ucsu.colorado.edu>
Subject:      Oil&Coolant Leaking from head Gasket

Hello everybody, I just had a VW rebuilt engine put into my '86 Westfalia by a local shop. The mechanics at this shop used to work for the VW dealer but defected. Anyway, the engine transplant was completed on Saturday. Sunday afternoon I went to take a look at it and noticed what seemed to be a coolant leak coming from the passenger side head! I started the van and went to go put gas in it. At the gas station, 1 block away, I noticed that it was in fact leaking. I had been hoping up 'til this point that mabye it was spilled or something. So I drove it back to the shop and looked again. It was really leaking pretty bad, much worse than the leaking coolant I had on the old engine. It also was not just coolant but oil too?! Yes, definatly greenish brown. This is very upsetting to me. I'm going to be paying off credit cards for some time and my car seems to be in worse shape? Has anyone had any experience with this? I think that the Factory rebuilds have a 1-year warranty, but I cannot afford labor. I trust VWoA about as far as I can throw them, and I can just see them saying that since they didn't install it it's not their problem, or that I have to pay labor etc. I'm going in to see the mechanics tomarrow morning to see what they say. Part of the reason that I invested in this "new" engine was for reliability reasons...so much for that theory. That Subaru engine keeps looking better and better. Oh well, any comments greatly appreciated.

Cory '86 Westfalia