Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Jan 1997 14:48:34 -0800
From:         Erik O <koesel@uakron.edu>
Subject:      Skylight Solution

List,

I was surprised at how many responces I got on my first posting. Seems these factory skylight lenses are real junk. Well, I'm still putting the finishing touches on mine and it's quite cold outside so I'm waiting for a sunny day. It still looks cool! It's really not anything too special or complicated, here's what you need...

1> Piece of pixiglass at least 13in. by 17in. to cover the opening. Measure yourself to make sure. Use something pretty thick. Try for 1/2 in.

2> Jig saw and drill with 1/4 in. bit. 8mm wrench.

3> Assorted nuts, bolts, metal or rubber washers. (If not available, tilt head sideways and tap it.)

4> Silicone sealent. (black or clear)

Here are the problems. My solutions are given.

1> The hindges want to hold the front of the glass too high. Either bend the hindges down, or use rubber or metal washers as spacers. I used rubber, looks better. You will need to replace the bolts that hold the hindges to the glass now because they won't be long enough. Also you might need to remove some of the material from the hindge or the glass where they merge and get in the way of each other. Try a fit and look on the outside to illustrate this. It's hard to describe.

2> For cutting off the corners I used the original skylight as a template for the curve and it wasn't quite right. The curve needs to be a bit larger. The 13in. by 17in. measurement seems to be on the money though.

3> If your glass isn't perfectly flat you're going to have to put a bead of sealant on the mating surface between the glass and the black rubber seal from the old lens. I would suggest doing this anyway because the old seal isn't very flexible. Try to put it on as evenly as possible. Don't use too much, You can always add more later. Alow it to dry completely before checking the fit. It should be dry to the touch. If you have a big head you might let someone else do this, the sealent will get all over yourself. Or do this step from the outside of the van.

4> Check the fit and apply more sealent as needed. Build it up in small amounts.

That's as far as I got so far. I'm working on the crank arms so the glass will go up and down. The crank bracket bolts down easily. Warning, the crank bracket has three bolts that hold it down. Don't drill out the middle one. You won't need it and it gets in the way of the crank arms. If it's cold where you live too, duct tape the crank bracket to the housing will hold it down untill it warms up. You will have to seal the inside of the bolts and the mating surface between everything you bolt to the glass and the glass itsself. Otherwise water will leak through. But I'm sure not as bad as the leak you have now.

Hope this helps everyone. Try to get a good deal on the pexiglass. A hardware company I checked wanted a fortune for their stuff. Still cheaper than the oem lens. If anyone out there wants one of these precut for them I might be persuaded to do so. I still have my template. Once you have the glass cut it's all just nuts and bolts.

Good Luck, Erik 87'syncrowestyweekender

PS "down with euro-american rv products"