Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Jan 1997 12:51:52 -0800
From:         bayer@sybase.com (David Bayer)
Subject:      Re: vanagon problem

>| I am the owner of a 1988 vanagon of which I just recently purchased and >| am currently taking my first extended roadtrip in. 100 miles from >| Seattle I encountered a shuddering problem much like a clogged fuel >| filter. [snip] >| Anyhow, I am now in New Mexico at a freinds and I found your web page >| and thought maybe you had heard of this problem, (the new wiring harness >| cost $150.00 installed and after 1800 miles of problem free driving with >| it, the problem returned 100 miles from my destination of Las Cruces, NM >| though to a greatly reduced extent)

Ok, I am not sure what a clogged fuel filter stall feels like, but if you have gotten that harness, and most other things check out, I would point you towards your Hall Sender Unit and check if the elbow that comes out of the distributor is still solid.... Here is why...

I was going up to Seattle with my SO when we saw signs for unstable weather ahead on I80. Since she had never been in snow before, I thought this was a wonderful oppurtunity to show her and see how the Syncro held in the snow... On our way up there, the car stalled but fired right back up after I turned the key. It did it again, so I started pulling off to the side of the road. It did it a final time as I got there and wouldn't restart. Pulled the engine compartment apart and everything looked ok. Started right up this time. We decided the car didn't want to go to the snow and turned round to make the trek to Seattle where I would have a garage to look the car over...

We got to Seattle without further incident. But a day later, in the rain, it did it again. Died but didn't start for about 15 minutes. This is when I noticed that the tach fell before the engine had died. The 1 mile drive home was a combination of stall here, stall there, wait, hope I don't stall in the middle of the two intersections....

The problem ended up being the connector for the Hall Sender plate to the wire that goes to the ECU. The elbow had broken inside the edge of the distributor so it appeared ok on visual inspection (and it had been snapped when I bought the car so I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when wiggling things). The bottom of the connector had wiggled itself back so the 3 wires inside of that elbow were hitting the distributor in the notch where the elbow exitted. This was shorting the timing signals to the ECU and made the engine after to have stopped (no more spark, no more fuel).

I pulled the distributor, gently work a piece of electrical tape into the notch to prevent the wires from shorting, and put the distributor back in the engine. Still running without a repeat after 1500 or so miles. (I am going to replace the Hall sender plate when I can afford the part and can fit the work into the PO-didn't-keep-any-records-so-I-am-replacing- lots-of-stuff list).

dave