Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Jan 1997 19:41:47
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (Ron Salmon)
Subject:      Re: Mexican vehicles

>This relates to the discussions about importing vehicles, mostly buses >from Canada. I saw two brand new Mexican beetles today in Loxley, AL ( 10 >miles east of Mobile.) The "dealer" said he got them approved for CA, so >they should be good for everywhere. They had AL plates on both of them. >If he can get beetles, how about buses? What's available in Mexico?

This is the first I've heard of someone getting away with this. I'd love to know how he did it. As far as what's available in Mexico, they have a breadloaf-style bus with a water-cooled Rabbit type motor and a radiator up front. Kinda neat. Even more unusual is a bus made in Brazil, I think, that had a breadloaf-style big windshield but looked like an old 13-window Deluxe Microbus in the rear, complete with corner windows! I'd love to be driving one of those around here!! Anyway, I would definately check with the local DMV before buying one of these, and get a written guarantee that the bugs could be registered and would pass safety and emissions inspection in AL. (If they're registered as '97's, I don't see how they could meet '97 emissions standards, for example.) -Ron Salmon