Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Jan 1997 17:27:57 -0800
From:         bayer@sybase.com (David Bayer)
Subject:      Re: 1985 Vanagon stumbling-Again!

>| I thought the new fuel pump and fuel filters replaced in Reno NV solved the >| missing/bucking problem in my 1985 Westy(112K).(Ran great 3000miles return) >| But on a recent trip in TN while plowing down I-59. I felt a short stumble >| which cleared for about 1/4mile followed by a more survire stumbling. I >| put the accelerator to the floor and it seemed to clear up and has not >| acted-up again in the last 300 miles.

This sounds like the problem I had. Did you check the plastic elbow coming out of the distributor? If it wiggles, it could be grounding out just inside the distributor. Take the cap off, the rotor, and the dust cover. Then check if the elbow is in one piece or has snapped and the base has flipped on its side, allowing intermitent grounding of the sender wires. This is a real pain in the neck to find because it looks ok from the outside, tests ok with the tests and will only act up when you are driving and go over the right bump, or the engine wiggles in just the right way, or a drop of water with a little salt gets kicked up to just the right place... The sender plate can be obtained from Bosch I imagine, or Kyle from volks-motorsports can get you the right part (he showed me one when I went down there). Or a piece of electrical tape can keep you moving in a jam (my jam has lasted 1500+ miles), one just needs to insulate those three wires from the each other and from the metal body of the distributor...

dave