Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Jan 1997 10:06:40
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (Ron Salmon)
Subject:      Kelley Blue Book site / Re: FS: '89 Westy

I just found the Kelley Blue Book website this morning (www.kbb.com). The Kelley Blue Book is commonly used by car dealers, along with the NADA yellow book. Maybe you already know about this site, but if not, I found it to be a really neat site for looking up the retail and trade-in values of a VW. I found it far more complete and accurate than the Edmunds site, at least for busses and Vanagons. For one thing, it adjusts for regional price differences (you must enter the State you live in), which can be substantial, as we have seen on this list. But what really impressed me was that it is clearly customized for the Volkswagen van itself, rather than just adding generic values for different options like the Edmunds site does. (You get the feeling they researched it a bit more carefully.) For example, I tried looking up a '77 Westy, and it actually asked me to specify whether it had the optional stove, fridge, side tent(!), etc. Sure enough, it quoted different values if I typed in different options (or different states in the country). You have to read the FAQ's, however, to discover that the "trade-in" prices quoted on the website are actually lower than the wholesale prices listed in the Kelley Blue Books they sell to dealers. Also, I didn't always agree with their prices based on what I've seen locally (I thought their later-model values were a bit high, and their earlier-model ones a bit low), but that's just my opinion. In any event, it seems to be the best used car valuation site on the net.

For what it's worth (no pun intended), I looked up the value of the '89 Westy I'm asking $12,500 for. With its specific options and mileage, the Blue Book retail price for it is $16,000. (Dealer trade-in is about $10k, so it seems I'm actually asking closer to wholesale than to retail.)

-Ron Salmon