Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         16 Jan 97 07:15:59 PST
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Re: Sliding door on '90 popping open

The rear latch IS the latch that holds the door to the body. The handle on the front of the door actuates the rear mechanism with a long cable thingy (it has a special name, can't remember). You will need to remove the interior latches, covers, etc. and then remove the cover panel to access the stuff inside.

Once inside, you'll find adjusting gizmos to tighten/loosen the cable. Much like the adjusters on bicycle brake cables. Sounds like the rear latch is not being allowed to completly latch, probably need to loosen the cable.

While you're in there, it would be worth your time to take both mechanisms out, clean and grease everything that moves. In a few years, without greasing, the grease with thicken, increase effort to actuate mechanisms, and eventually work loose the pressed metal that holds the front handle to the mechanism, leaving you with a handle in you hand as you walk away from your bus. (I have a 25 cent fix) But cleaning and greasing will prevent this. Sorry to rant, but BOTH my '80's have had this problem.

- Jeff '80 Westi