Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jan 1997 15:41:23 -0500
From:         "Tony Moore" <tony@moorelab.com>
Subject:      FS - '83.5 Weekender GL

Some good news, some bad news.

Brought home an '86 Weekender GL on Tuesday. It has power steering and an auto tranny, making it much easier for my wife to drive. Good news. That leaves no more room for my trust daily driver, a '83.5 Weekender GL. I tried to keep 'em both, but along with the '60 Westy and '68 Beetle Convertible, no go :-( Bad News. So here's the dirt:

1983.5 Vanagon Weekender GL - For Sale -$3,300 obo -116,000 miles -looks great, runs great -1.9L, new head gaskets and no. 3 cylinder replaced in the Spring of '96 -4 spd manual tranny, all is fine but it does "buck" very slightly (per recent string) when worked very hard, ie an hour or so in start and stop traffic. -A/C, works great, just charged over Summer of '96 -new metallic bronze/brown paint (non-vw color done by PO) in February of '96, no rust, only body work done is a small spot behind the sliding door, looks like a short pole was swiped. -weekender interior with rear cushion installed from an '86 (all seats, panels, etc.), folding rear seat/bed, split folding middle seat. -kenwood am/fm cassette with kenwood speakers installed behind original factory grill covers, could use a new antennae though, I think I tore the cable during install and reception isn't great but the stereo sounds good. -receiver type hitch rated at 3500 lbs( welded onto frame, not on the tow hooks), I'd like to see someone even TRY and tow that amount! -it still has the rear aux. heater and was working until this morning. I just discovered the valve is very slowly leaking, but I'm going to try and fix it before the sale.

This van is very clean and runs great. My wife and I have driven it everywhere including > 15 hours in one day with no problems. I've done my very best to maintain it (with lots of help from the list!) and it's been shown a lot of love. The ONLY reason I'm selling it is because of the 'new' '86. My wife is a teacher and has to haul around students frequently, she's simply too small to drive/park the '83 comfortably. I wish I had the space/time/$$ to keep it but I don't :-(

Well, that's it! Now I have to post about repairs needed on the '86, here we go again!

tony