Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Jan 1997 12:46:21 -0600 (CST)
From:         tmarcini@execpc.com (Tim Marciniak)
Subject:      Re: Drivability issue revisited-intermittent stalling

> >there have been some folks who did put the harness on, and it did NOT solve >their problem. but! that might be due to a communication error in their >description of the problem with their bus. there ARE other things that can >cause somewhat similar problems. > >the key to the air flow / harness problem seems to be: >(1) it happens after you've been driving at a steady speed for a while, > usually on cruise control (but not always). >(2) the bus starts to sputter and loses power. >(3) turning off the ignition and restarting solves the problem. the car > acts like nothing had happened. >(4) it might happen again in a few minutes, but it might not recur for > days or weeks. >(5) it is usually associated with highway speeds. >

Joel,

Thanks for the reply, I bought the harness today and will probably install it the next time I change oil when hopefully the temp here in WI will be above 0.

My driveability problems were exactly as described by others who fixed their problem with this wiring harness. BTW the guy at the parts counter referred to this as a transformer (per the official VW parts fiche) that changes the signal strength--could be I suppose.

Joel you said > >... the way i look at it, the dealer's mechanics are so incompetent when it >comes to Vanagons, that all they are doing is swapping parts to see if they >can fix it. well, hell, *I* can swap parts just as well, and save myself the >labor charges and inconvenience of having to wait on my car!! > >so, as much as i am able, that's what i do. and if it doesn't fix the >problem (whatever it is that i swap), well, then i know THAT wasn't the >problem ... and the part i just swapped won't likely BE a problem any >time in the near future. :) >

My sentiments exactly, I refer to it as the proces of elimination. While I still go to the dealer near me for service on jobs I choose not do, I am still very suspicious of all dealer service centers and pretty much all mechanics.

Thanks again to you and all the others that replied. V@L is a great resource.

Tim Marciniak