Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Jan 1997 20:08:06 -0500
From:         Jeff Diebolt <jdiebolt@up.net>
Subject:      Re: diesel cooling woes revisited

If you have no external coolant leaks you have a blown head gasket. When most cars get low on coolant the heater core is the first to suffer, I'd rather have the little bit of coolant in the motor than the heater core. Gotta prevent meltdown somehow. I had very similar symptoms a few years back, and I've seen many blown head gaskets on diesel VWs. They don't always leak externally either. HTH At 06:00 PM 1/18/97 -0600, Robert Cronin wrote: >My diesel had cooling problems this past summer, but after bleeding, >replacing the thermostat, and flushing, everything was A-OK. Today in >the frigid weAther (10-20 f) New problems arose. I first noticed a >problem when The heat whhich normally is excellent, was non-existent even >with the temp gauge at the normal 1/3 mark. I sensed problems, but not >until the temp gauge rose and light flashed did I realize the extent. I >pulled over, released the pressure cap and added straight antifreeze. I >drove another 2-3 miles before the problem resurfaced. I left her there >and returned tonight. I limped home and sheltered her in the garage, >whwere she now sits. >Im afraid the problem lies on my shoulders as all through the original >problems, I always replaced lost coolant with H2O, diluting it. I >thought to add some staright anti-freeze last week, but checked it and >it seemed alreight (ie it was still nice and green!). But with todays >harsh temps, Im afarid I has some freezing and perhAps blockage in the >pipes to the radiator. Does this seem logical? I thought thaT if this >was the case, it would mely from the heat of the coolant in the engine, >but maybe not? I looked and did not notice any split hoses or burst >pipes, but it was dark and I didn't check it very thoroughly, which I >will do tomorrow. I think the fact that I had no heat implies that there >was some blockage. >Now did I do terrible damage to my van? Is it possible the warm temps in >the garage will help melt the ice and solve all of my problems? >any advice greatly appreciated >Paul C >82 Diesel Westy > >

Greetings from Michigan's Upper Peninsula Jeff & Jean-Marie Diebolt mailto:jdiebolt@up.net