Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jan 1997 17:10:07 -0800
From:         Erik O <koesel@uakron.edu>
Subject:      Re: Erik O's 87 Vanagon (was: 86 Wolfsburgs)

SyncroHead@aol.com wrote: > > Erik OBrien, > > Hoping you can clear something up by teling us about your van. > > I wrote: > >>According to VW's 1986 Vanagon brochure, all basic 86 Vanagon Campers > >>(not GLs) came with the corduroy interior fabric. I recall that it was > brown, > >> not tan though. The color might just be my memory, or it might fade to a > tan > >>color, just before self shredding. Hmmm... maybe it was tan afterall...?? > - > >>not sure. > > Then Chris Turner wrote: > >Hmm.. I've never seen a std non-GL westy (exept for ones '80-'82 aircooled) > >that was a wasserboxer, that wasn't a "WWW". I guess I'll have to peek into > > >more Vanagons in parking lots and such :<) > >Well, we could solve this problem once, and for all - just ask Eric O. what > >his '87 is, and what color corduroy it has. Do know his e-mail address? > > I think that your 87 van is a standard Vanagon Camper. Chris has never seen > one of these (86/87) that wasn't also a Wolfsburg Limited Edition. The > Wolfsburgs in 87 weren't Campers, so your's couldn't be simultaneously: an > 87, a Camper, and a Wolfsburg. Please set us straight. Also, what is the > interior material & color? > > Thanks, > Jim Davis > 87 GL Syncro > 88 GL Wolfsburg

I think you are both right. My van is an 87' Vanagon Camper. That's what it says on the camper supplemental manual that it came with. It has a black metal tag near the passenger door that says westfalia on it. I don't think the interior is corduroy. It has grey fabric trimed in blue. It's the same interior I've seen in alot of other vans. I don't think they made alot of this model, and especially with the syncro. I have yet to find anyone who has one like it. I pitty the poor sap and/or his insurance company who hits me. How can you determine "replacement value". But, I hope nothing happens to it. I want to attest to you guys just how cool VW owners are. I am the 3rd owner of this van and the 2nd owners had it from 87 until last summer. When I bought it they tried to make sure I had all of the reciepts and stuff pertaining to the van. Well, a couple of days ago I got a package in the mail with little odds and ends that were missing from the van. Two cupholder bases and the rubber to the break petal. The PO said he found them cleaning out his garage. Also in the box were some reciepts, most of which didn't matter too much, old oil changes and tune ups, But the truely amazing one was a receipt for work on the front differencial to the tune of $3700. Yes, the van had a new viscous coupling installed by the dealer at 83000k. Well, after tracing back through receipts I know they had the center driveshaft removed at 85000k and the new one didn't arrive for 3 months. The PO never installed it because he thought he was getting better mileage without it. Anyway, I'm sure you guys don't really care but it boils down to the fact that VW owners are pretty cool and I have a viscious coupling and center driveshaft with less that 3000k on them. Gosh I had to tell someone that and didn't want to flat-out announce it to the whole list. (I didn't want to sound like I was rubbing it in.) I hope I answered your Q's about my van. If you know of any 87 Syncro Campers (not GL's) out there let me know. Erik