Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Feb 1997 20:36:18 -0500 (EST)
From:         Cwright042@aol.com
Subject:      HELP!!! 87 Syncro loss of compression (puttputtputt....)

Fellow list members HELP!,

I did not think that I would be writing back so soon about a problem with my new (98,700) seemingly all right syncro. However something has gone vary wrong (last letter was for a oil/coolant leak). I was driving today on a short 210 mile trip (form Conn to Martha's Vineyard Mass) and after about 170 miles I lost acceleration (of course I was going up a hill on the four lane Bourne bridge with no place to pull over), and the car seemed to be struggling to stay on. I pulled over and checked the engine out. The coolant level was fine and so was the oil level. I started it up again and it was fine. [this was probably not the brightest move, but I had just brought it in to the VW shop 3 days ago for a coolant leak (needed a new hose to the water pump) and they found nothing else wrong with it and told me it was cool to drive it on this trip ] So I finished the drive (another 30 miles). I turned off the engine waited an hour and checked the coolant and oil levels (no leaks) which were full/fine. Turned it on and after 5 min it started to stall (puttputtputt...) at idle I went around to the engine and noticed a light whitish exhaust from exhaust pipe. I turned it off checked around the engine again for any signs of what could be causing this and did not see anything visible. So I started it up to see the exhaust again, and it was fine so I drove it to my house (at one point starting from a stop sign in first gear it lagged and putted the then jumped forward and was "fine") and here it sits. I know I have problems, but the thing is I am on an island (Martha's Vineyard) and I need to know if it can be driven so that I can get off the island and to the VW dealer in Hyanis Mass ($$$$$$$$$?????????). -Here again are the symptoms: Loss of acceleration/pressure, engine to wants to stall then is OK and it drives "fine", NO visible leaks under or inside the engine compartment, Coolant and oil levels fine with no signs of either in each other, a whitish exhaust with (only once I noticed this) clear liquid spitting out of the exhaust pipe (possibly water), starts up and drives but every now and then it happens (pressure loss...) and then it drives fine. -Here are the ideas that I have: Blown cylinder head gasket (but there is no leaking coolant and it drives OK for miles at a time), spark plugs, water in the gas, gas line frozen??....

Please any and all help. I need to know if it can/should be driven so that I know whether it needs to be towed off the island (and more importantly if I can drive 200 miles back to Conn so that I can show up for work on Wens).

Thank you, Chris Wright 87 Syncro GL