Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Feb 1997 19:06:36 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      Vanagon front suspension/track question?

Something quick I need to know, archives list a front track increase for '83, how was this accomplished, or more to my point is a air cooled '80-'83 steering knuckle compatible with an '85 Vanagon, both using the early ATE brakes. The track change listed is quite trivial (.6") and if indeed true, I would have done it by changing what is machined off the spindle, if this is correct will my hodge podge mixing of parts cause any problems, I could go out and look at the '81 and compare, but it is cold, and dark, and the '85 is still taking up the garage.

For anyone wondering, the damn '86 spindle with Girling calipers in a NO GO, asshole at the yard claimed Van was an early '85 like mine, headlights are gone, looks early, I launch into self removal as I've been waiting on him for 2 months. Get down to it and notice it is a a late Girling brake model, take off the caliper just to check and turns out that since the later mounts the bolts into the caliper, the earlier mounts the bolts though caliper into spindle, they seem to have simply drilled out the holes on the later spindle and it will not interchange. About 30 minutes of my time wasted.

John vwbus@netbiz.net