Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:12:49 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      Re: Summer East Coast Bussing....

Well having gone late last summer (August) I'll interject

> Cape Hatteras is by far the best place to go on the outer banks. It > still has not become a commercialized tourist trap like Kitty Hawk & > further north. There is decent "East coast" surf at the lighthouse

Actually the entire outer banks are pretty busy and commercialized these days.

> There is a VW shop before you come to the 1st ferry if you come in > from the south. The ferrys are crowded and it probably would be a good > idea to plan to drive there at night & sleep in buses "in line" to take > the ferry the 1st thing in the morning. 10-15 buses on the ferry ride > would be pretty cool.

Rode both ferrys, the one in the banks and the one off the south end. In august neither was whatsoever crowded, had to wait one boat for one, drove up to and on the south end one, right as it was leaving. You can make reservations though. The little ferry is a nice ride, I highly rec it. The one off the south end becomes a bit tedious and boring, take a good book, have something for the kids to do, pop the top (I did) sit back fix lunch, etc. Would be better IMHO to start the trip from the south end and go up the banks.

> Staying at the National Parks is better than the "commercial" ones, > even though the showers only have cold water. A group photo at the

100% true, but I did have luck with one private one as well.

> Be prepared for these 2 words... SAND GNATS! Bring insect repellant > (which some of them will simply laugh at).

Dont laugh, 100000000% true, they are vicious and you will regret not heeding this warning make sure your bus screens are in 100% condition as well.

> > I am planning to make this trip & think everyone on the east coast > should as well. It promises to be great fun. >

Unfortunately I went last year. I note that another excellent thing is going on some of the "jeep" trails down by the ocean, and a jetski or two would not come amiss though I know them surfers will object.

John vwbus@netbiz.net