Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 03 Feb 1997 11:58:25
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (Ron Salmon)
Subject:      Re: Opinions of a VW Camper

>My husband and I have been looking for a VW camper. We can't afford >at this time a very expensive one and we also want to make sure we will >use and enjoy one before spending lots of money. > >This past weekend there was a listing in our local paper for a >1978 VW Camper Deluxe >Near mint condition, new engine >$5600 firm.

>I think the price is a bit high, but it does come with all useable >equipment and is semi local, and should be clean :). > >Is this a high price and what kind of questions should I ask about the >performance and /or is there things I should know about this year >camper?

'78 is a very good year for the air-cooled campers (in my opinion, the best year), and the description you included sounds very promising. However, $5600 is a high price. For this price, it really must be nearly mint. This means no rust (check front axle, inside front wheelwells, rocker panels, in front of and behind the front seats), excellent mechanical condition, near mint interior, etc. Basically it should look and drive almost like new. I would assume the clutch was replaced at the same time as the engine (you might double check). If this bus is really in showroom condition, then it's probably worth almost $5600. Consider, however, that you could also get a mid-80's watercooled Vanagon Westfalia for roughly the same price. Certainly more luxurious than the '78 (bigger, better heat, probably A/C, nicer layout and fridge, plusher interior, more horsepower, perhaps power steering, etc). Much more expensive to repair than a bus, though (in particular, parts cost more). I'm not saying that a water-cooled Vanagon is neccessarily a better choice, but you are in a price range where it is another option. If you prefer an air-cooled or older camper, though, I personally think a '78 would be an excellent choice. -Ron Salmon