Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Feb 97 10:57:00 PST
From:         Gregory M Daughtry <Gregory_M_Daughtry@ccm2.hf.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: stupid, ignorant question

Hi Tonya,

I have a few suggestions, but please take with a grain of salt.

I haven't had to find my starter, yet, but if you need I can look it up in Bently and fax you a photocopy of the pages.

Diagnosing voltage problems: Do you have a good multi-meter? Do you know how to measure current with one?

Here's what you can try:

First, check your ground strap connection at the transmission, not the ground post on your battery. Remove, clean and reconnect.

Now, if you disconnect the ground post of the battery and place your meter in series with the ground post and your ground cable, you can measure the current drawn from the battery. Careful to get the polarity right. You may have short somewhre in your system. I am sure there is a procedure in the archives and I believe in the Bentley as well that illustrates how to find it. Basically it's kind of like this, but please search for a more definitive procedure. With the ignition on (engine not running) and ALL possible things turned off (radio, etc) there should be no current measured. If there is, there is a procedure of pulling fuses until the current goes away and you have isolated the circuit witht the fault. It will narrow down the choices. See bentley/archives.

There is also another thing to think about. As wires age, their resistance goes up and there are greater power losses due to this resistance. So you can get a voltage drop just because of the length of wire current has to travel from the battery back to the engine compartment. Two volts seems excessive, but I guess it may be possible. There are also many threads about the marginal current carrying capacity of the wiring from the battery back to the engine. Search the archives for articles explaining replacing/upgrading the wiring. A lot of the threads have to do with adding the secondary battery with a voltage isolator, so you may want to add that to your search criteria. I can dig the info up if you are having trouble finding it.

Hope this helps, and let me know if I can do more.........

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: stupid, ignorant question Author: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu at SMTPGATE Date: 2/22/97 3:45 PM

Yes I'm ignorant (at least about this ...)

Where is the starter on an 87 vanagon? It finally warmed up enough, and wasn't raining, to where I could try to get my alternator working. Connections at the alternator are okay (cleaned them all up anyway), but someone told me that the connections at the starter may be causing the trouble. So where IS the starter? And what does it look like?

Also, on a weird note, the battery has 11 volts across it when NOT connected to the engine. When I connect the ground strap, it has 9 volts across the terminals. Back at the alternator (with the key in the on position, engine off), it reads 7 volts. This doesn't seem right. Any ideas?

Brushers on alternator looked okay at quick glance, but wanted to check all the connections before I passed judgement. I've got the battery out of the van currently and hooked to a charger.

TIA everyone! Tonya