Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Feb 97 11:51:05 EST
From:         barwise@tuxedo.ENET.dec.com
Subject:      re: EV piston Slap questions

Chris (or is it Ronald?) wrote:

>Hi. I've been trying to tell everybody that the lifter tap (piston slap) is a >charachteristic of the inline 5 after initial cold startup. I drive a '84 Audi >5000 turbo daily. (where's the Vanagon? - shaddup... :<) It has 135k mi on it >currently. (This is the EXACT same engine as in the EV, minus the turbo, of >course) I bought it when it was 4 years old and had approx. 50k mi on it. >When I bought it , the lifters tapped when cold, for a few minutes until it >warmed up. Now, at 135k mi, it does the same thing - no more - no less. Have I >ever had any problems because of the lifter tap? No. <snip>

I, too, have experience with the Audi I-5 engine, this one installed in an 87 VW Quantum. I have 150K miles on it and it is indeed a wonderful, durable engine. Some do, as explained above, have lifter noise upon cold start. Another very typical problem is an exhaust manifold crack that causes a lifter-like tapping or clicking sound for a minute or so until the manifold expands as it heats up.

That said, the noise we EVers are talking about is different than lifter or manifold noise. What I hear can be described as diesel-like noise, but it is a deeper rattling or knocking sound that eminates further down in the block area. In contract, the lifter and manifold noise is a sharper clicking or tapping sound. My 150K Quantum engine is comparitively very quiet upon initial cold start. They sound very different!

rob