Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Feb 97 08:17:12
From:         mdstockr <mdstockr@neo.lrun.com>
Subject:      Re: Go with the door sticker.....

Dave,

There are different load ranges for tires (different levels of reinforcement).

With the higher level of reinforcement goes higher maximum rated inflation pressure and load carrying capacity.

The biggest risk of overinflating tires is in the area where the tire mounts to the wheel. There are steel hoops, called beads, that hold the tire onto the wheel (rim). Overinflating tires will cause excessive strain on these beads and can cause them to fail. The problem is, when a bead fails the tire tends to EXPLOODE off the rim, and that's where the major risk is.

People have been decapitated while mounting tires to rims because they overinflated the tire. That's why you see cages in tire shops to contain tires while they are being inflated.

Also, if you overinflate the tire and then hit a pothole or curb, you may damage the reinforcing cords in the sidewall of the tire. Once 1 or 2 cords are broken, the neighboring cords see excessive strain, which causes them to break, which causes their neighboring cords to see excessive strain, which causes them to break, ..., ..., ...,..., and you end up having a chain reaction that causes the sidewall of the tire blow out!

The fact that you bought 185R14 reinforced Michelins means that you have more than adequate tires for your bus, unless you plan to use it to haul heavy loads at it's maximum load capacity, which is not typical.

If you plan to put 205 sized tires, you will need to use P205/70R14 tires to maintain the same tire diameter, which might be too wide for the rims you have. Check with your tire dealer.

I would not recommend putting P205/70R14 tires on the rear and 185R14 tires on the front. This will probably upset the handling of your bus, causing excessive understeer. Recommend using same size tires front and back.

You will not see a big increase in load capacity going to a 70 series tire, if that is your goal.

Benifits of P205/70R14 tires: - Improved ride and handling - Longer tread life

Negatives of using P205/70R14 tires: - Heavier steering (if used on front) - More wear a tear on steering gear (if used on front) - Less steering feedback (if used on front) - Reduced traction in snow - Increased unsprung weight - May affect handling - More wear and tear on suspension components

--- On Tue, 25 Feb 1997 06:48:45 -0600 Dave Mancuso <Mancuso@etown.k12.pa.us>

-----------------End of Original Message-----------------

Michael Stocker <mdstockr@neo.lrun.com> North Canton, Ohio, USA Time: 8:17:13 AM LiMBO / GASS Date: 2/25/97 1989 Audi 90 Quattro Wanted: Nice 1968->? bus or Westi Previous VW's: '66-T3, '67-T1 & '70-T2 Westi ________________________________________________