Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:41:14 -0700 (MST)
From:         vanbondo@primenet.com (Rusty VanBondo)
Subject:      "Name the plate" - Kharma Circles

What goes around comes around... Especially if you fail to take it out of your name. ---------------------------------

In deciding on the possible license plate options for the '67 Resto from Heck, many suggestions were submited by listees and non-listees. I took Friday, 2/21/97 off and proceeded to the AZ State DMV. After sitting for 90 minutes my lucky number was finally called. PHEW! I thought "Hooray, the final step in getting this "Three year venture into Hell- pile of joy" on the road!" The clerk took the papers with the request for "67 SO42" and started to enter it into the computer. "Nope, no one has it. It's yours." Cool! then she mentions that it would be three to four months to get it in the mail. In the mean time I need to purchase the regular AZ license plate for an additional fee. HUH!!? DOH! OK, whatever! Lets do it... Then she says the computer was acting "funny" and wouldn't take it. Frustrated she tried several times. Then she called the Supervisor over to review her actions. The Supervisor says that the computer wouldnt take the input because there was a "block" on my account. "Why?," I asked. Apparently you abandoned a 1965 VW station wagon bus in the rural area of South Phoenix. You need to clean that situation up prior to getting the RFH on the road. I explained that I had sold the bus as a shell back in 1993. It was THE very first bus that started me down the path of gathering parts for the camper resto. You know how it is. You buy a bus for $300.00, take everything that you need out of it and sell it for $300.00 or whatever. They are the POS basket projects that beginner kids love. But they have those few trinkets that you can't find any where so you spin 'em fast after nabbing the gems. The kid who bought it knew exactly what he was getting when he bought it. "No problems 'Dude' I'll have this Mutha on the road in no time!" (Right) The bus had been seen at many swap meets and had been passed around like a bad girl friend for years. Evidentally the last hosers who owned the thing stripped the very last bits out of it, did a Saws-All party on it and performed a "Midnight Run" on the carcass. I explained to the State DMV agent that I had received a letter about this just after the first of the year. When I followed up on the situation the impound yard had told me that they owned it by then and had received a recycler's title for it, and I was no longer in the picture. I was under the impression that the case was closed. I had thrown the letter away by last Friday and was faced with a undetermined "mondo" fine. My option was to provide the State with a letter of sale or a copy of the record book from the Notary who did the deed for me back in '93. She had moved to Hemet, CA and was an ex- "ol' lady" of a distanced friend of mine. Hmmm... By now it was two and one half hours inside the DMV... The nicotine Jones was kickin in big time. The sign on the wall said: USAGE OF ABUSIVE LANGUAGE WILL RESULT IN A REFUSAL OF SERVICE! It was all in red "cap" letters. =0

The agents of the State asked me to take a seat while they called the wrecking yard for details. I played it cool- even for a Neurotic perfectionist who was "dying" for a smoke. Fifteen minutes later they said that the crushing yard never got a title for it but had crushed it already. The fine was mine! I agreed to pay a $50.00 "fine" and said forget it to the four month wait for the plates. "Please just give me the Vintage/Antique plates" Ironically the plate off the top of the stack reads

"02L8"

There is a very small HV preceding the 02L8 but I laughed and grabbed the plates and went home to work on the bus untill 03:30 AM on Saturday morning to get it ready to drive to the Corona de Tucson event. I had the best two hours of sleep that night... ;-(

The new standing joke between Paula and I is: "Hey Honey, Are you sure you wanna do a Westy Resto? No? ... Oh, Too Late!" -VanBondo\

BTW: Acquaintences of mine are always joking that anything newer than a Barn is too late. A late year 67 is, I guess, very much on the edge of being too late to be a splittie!