Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:36:31 -0700
From:         Larry Hamm <ldhamm@xmission.com>
Subject:      Re: 1983 Vanagon Westy

Karen Winter wrote: > > Kenneth Winter wrote > Buying time? I have the opportunity to purchase a 1983 Vanagon. It has > the full camper package. The body and interior is in excellent > condition. There is not a knob missing in the whole van. The clutch has > less than 3k on it. The PO stated that a problem in the fuel system > forced gasoline into the oil and caused the motor to fail. It was > parked before the motor locked up, but he limped it home by changing the > oil 4 times in 600 miles. The oil is water thin and snells of gas. > PO suggested regrinding the crank and putting in larger bearing would > fix the problem. This job is beyond my abilities, and possibly billfold. > > I can purchase the Van for $2000. > Is that to much for a none running camper. > How expensive will repairs be? > > specs: 4 speed > AC needed repair > newish clutch > 110k on body > one rip in canvas > top seal is brittle > no rust in body > Van has been sitting for 3 years. > Should I rebuild or swap engines? > Would this make a good motor up grade candidate? > If so what engine? > Any input will be appreciated. > > Kenneth Winter Kenneth, Sounds like it may be a good candidate for an engine swap. I am looking for just such a Westy in that price and age range. My plans are to can the original engine and install a Subaru, probably 2.7 liter or 3.3 if I can find one. Even the Subaru 4's would be attractive for your vehicle, and have an excellent reputation for dependability. Keep us posted, and if you decide to pass on this one and it's located anywhere from Denver to the left coast, drop me an email. 8^} Larry Hamm