Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Feb 1997 19:41:13 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      Re: mystery hose (FUEL TANK)

Jim wanted to know, I think everyone could use the advice. (clamps on fuel tank vent lines)

> clamps, expecting a "simple job", and then found that I cannot figure out > how the original clamps are loosened--got any suggestions? > Jim> >

Jim you pretty much got to cut them off, a big (8" handle) set of quality electricians dikes (side cutters) will nip right through the OEM clamp at the point it is raised a bit to crimp, come off in a second, then cut the hose with a single sided razor blade so you don't break the barb off the tank. I reccomend the simple spring clams when you put it back together as they are cheaper and easier than the screw on jobs and as there is no pressure here are more than sufficient. You can use any ole American fuel line for the same reason. A bit more advice, unfortunately you are only seeing the outer end hoses up on those tanks, one on each side attaches through the exact same type (and likely condition) hose to a steel tank line, the other to a little plastic valve thingy on the tank. So the best real option is to drop your tank and replace ALL of them. This is 100% needed for the secondary reason that chances are on an '85 the top of the tank is near rusting through because dirt collects on them and holds water (like 1/2" of mud on top of your tank likely). Removing is fairly straightforward and will take an afternoon. Siphon out all the gas, then with an extinguisher nearby, remove the fill hose from the body via 3 screws (The plastic surround twists off in a counter clockwise direction after screws out) remove the vent line from the fill hose (1/2" line slips on the plastic fill fitting), wiggle the big fill pipe into the tank another couple of inches and you should be able to then wiggle it down and clear out through the wheelwell. Cut all those vent line pieces you are replacing, then support the tank with something, unhook the rear lines to pump and return and plug, watch draining gas, drain it into a pan and dispose immediately. Remove 2 bolts from front of tank hanger straps, then wiggle the rears of the straps out of the frame member, carefully drop the tank (2 people). A big vent line that goes over the front top from side to side (1/2" ID or so) may be attached to the body with a conduit clamp sort of thing, it will pull out one end, observe how it is fitted and notice reinstalling it is a real SOB that must be done by feel through the tinny hole above the frame member in the wheelwell from each side. Disconnect the tank sensor and then remove tank. Plug all the holes scrub down well, degrease, hand wire brush, whatever. Paint carefully on top with at least Rustoleum in the can primer and topcoat. Reassemble replacing all the vent hoses. DO NOT FORGET TO REAATCH THE SENDER FIRST THING, removing about 2-3 hours first time installing faster as you know how, basic down time is paint drying. Vanagon tanks are very $$$$, your time is worth it.

John vwbus@netbiz.net