Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         27 Feb 97 07:01:12 PST
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Re: LAZY SPEEDOMETER II

Chris -

In case you don't know how a speedo operates. The spinning cable spins a magnetic disc. Surrounding the disc is a metal cup that is attached to the speedo indicator. The rotating disc tries to magnetically rotate the metal cup, but is resisted by a spring. The mag disc dosen't touch the metal cup, magnetism attracts the cup and thus to spin.

Odds are that the shaft connecting the metal cup with the speedo indicator needs cleaning and lubricating. I would use a light oil, like a sewing machine oil, but I don't know what is the *proper* lubricant.

You'll have to diasssemble the speedo to get to that shaft. Nothing too intimidating to get there, taking things apart further is a little more tricky. Take your time, and don't tighten any screws going into plastic too much, the plastic is brittle. The speedo to housing in particular.

On my '64 Ford Crewcab I have the same problem, but since the glass face of the speedo is right next to the indicator, as the indicator bent with age it rubs against the glass, causing it to stick. Real cool to come to a stop with the speedo still at 60 MPH!

>SYMPTOMS: > speedometer does not register unless given a good thump on its cover, > then it works fine. Not temperature related (I once speculated that > it was frozen to the 0 MPH peg), not noisy. Occasionally > operates without thump.

- Jeff '80 Westi