Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:13:37 -0600
From:         Tonya Pope <galba@premier.net>
Subject:      Re: Sad story - HELP please (idle)

James Glenn wrote: > <snip> > The import guy says I need a new throttle body. Various people on the list > have suggested a new wiring subassembly for a similar but different > problem. Someone else mentioned a 100 mFd capacitor in the existing wiring. >

Wiring assembly and capacitor will not solve your problem, that's for a different problem involving intermitten missing, not bad idle.

> The car sat for a year before I got it fixed, in a damp garage that oozed > clay every winter, and dampness caused some corrosion everywhere > underneath. I'd like to get this fixed with the RIGHT technique (can't

You've nailed it here probably, corrosion at contacts is your most likely candidate. Look especially at your grounds. At the battery, inspect and clean the ground bolt that goes through the frame, the underside can get mighty yucked up as it's exposed to the elements. There's another ground at the transmission that a number of people have just flat out replaced because of corrosion.

Sitting isn't too good for rubber items either. Look at your vacuum lines and the rubber connections. You can replace all of it for under $2. And a small vacuum leak would cause your idling problems. A larger one would cause you to stall at idle with a general loss of power under load. The rubber doesn't have to look visibly defective to be having a small leak.

Gee, wouldn't it be nice if $2 and some good ol' elbow grease cleaning those contacts would solve everything? If nothing else, it's worth a try and probably worthwhile anyway.

Good luck, Tonya 87 Vanagon GL Wolfs 74 S. Beetle