Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Feb 1997 18:32:25 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      RE: Alloy wheel deal

> Actually, a little more than 10mm is sufficient too, because it does work. > > Audi 5000/200 turbo alloy wheel: 6Jx15 H2 ET45 > > Vanagon "Carat" 5 spoke alloy wheel: 6Jx14 H2 ET30 >

WHOA, Frankly I would begin to think about this conversion at this point, work or no work, a change in offset of 1.5 cm is going to be loading a bearing more than designed, putting say about 50-100 ft-lbs additional moment on the spindle (assuming a 1000 lb load). Just cause it fit's don't make it right, take a look at some of the slammed civics with 8 inch wheels, bet they get 30k out of a set of front wheel bearings. A data point, FWD performance VW's typically in the early years ran stuff ET35 or greater, BMW 3 series (RWD) wheels had same bolt pattern but 25mm offset, running them was a STRICT NO NO. Adding spacers is often a good indication you got a problem, if it rubs without em, if you move it it ain't a good idea. Plus the spacer Ron mentions is going to exasperate the bearing problem, as the 45mm offset has already shoved the wheel 1.5mm OUTBOARD of where it should be, now adding a space shoves it out FURTHER. Knowing this info the Audi wheel is clearly for FWD applications, the van needs a RWD wheel. Fortunately a quick call to Tire Rack shows two readily available. The Borbet Replica II (Mercedes Replica) and Borbet Type A are both 15 X 7 with 25 mm offset. A proper fitment, offset only changes 5mm (less than .25 inch) and hence wheel grows nearly evenly inside and outside, and quite economical $120 each with new bolts and nuts, tested ready to bolt right on. Go get em if you want to run them 15 inch tires, the Type A would look excellent on a Vanagon. Check it out at http://www.tirerack.com it's a massive 5 spoke thing, bolts right up, without machining or spacers. Of course being 1.5 inches WIDER than an OEM steel wheel watch for tire rubbing. Another thing I've learned, ALWAYS buy at least 5 alloys when you buy aftermarket wheels, if 4 years from now you bust one on a curb/rock and the company no longer makes the style, you get left with 3 worthless chunks of aluminum.

Not to sound like I'm dishing you Ron, but this really sounds a BAD idea engineering wise, do you know anybody that has put say 100,000 miles on a van so converted, if not I'd think twice.

John vwbus@netbiz.net