Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Feb 97 20:51:03 UT
From:         "Timothy Hannink" <TJ_HANNINK@msn.com>
Subject:      Daytime Running Lights

I got some real good advice from a parts guy at a Canadian VW dealership. It turns out that you only need one relay for daytime running lights instead of two, and the resistor shown in the Bentley manual is resistive wire and is no longer used in new applications - they let the headlights operate at full power even during the daytime. The relay's function is to turn off the DRL low beams when you turn on the high beams - evidently you can't run both filaments in each headlight at the same time without meltdown. I found a suitable VW relay at my local VWFLAPS (K & K Automotive in Orlando, really good guys) for $10.00. Tomorrow its off to the dealer to purchase some pins for the fuseblock connector since I'm going to use an existing relay position (#4) to install my DRL relay.

Tim 1991 Carat (126700) 1975 Bus (Soon to have A/C)

My VW dealer has a 1994 Passat Wagon, fully loaded with 20,000 miles for $14,995.00. Any opinions on Passats would be appreciated since they are offering me a real good trade-in deal on my 91 for it.