Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Feb 1997 22:27:54 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      AVP 2.0 Vanagon AC engine FS

Well with all this great talk of AVP engines, all of which from my experience I agree with, now seems like a good time for me to try to sell the following.

1 AVP rebuilt 2.0 liter Vanagon (square port heads and '79-'83 case) engine.

Bought July of this year, has accumulated 7500 or so trouble free smooth running miles since that time. Oil changes at 100, 1000, 3000, 6000 miles (more than AVP recced) using Valvoline 40 wt racing this summer and Shell Rotella T 15W40 this winter, with the first 100 miles also on Shell Rotella T being extra ring seating running and around town break in, Bosch filters. No problems, runs consistently at 180-195F during normal operation (depending on outside temp) and never more than 230F on extreme grades (1500ft elevation change) this summer. AVP overheat indicator thingamabob on side still obviously intact and OK. Oil pressure excellent but I forget what (only hooked up gauge once to verify). Achieves 16-17 mpg in '81 Vanagon Westy (about average as I can figure for WV). Minor annoyances include the fact that it came with 2 plug threads inserted, not welded (standard AVP practice I guess) and that Leonard build them real low compression like so you can't possibly burn em up, and that I feel they used rebuilt not new lifters aside from my insistence and his promise as it has always had just a teeny hint more clatter than new hydraulics should, still people who have heard it run (Steve Dolan FI) would probably be hard pressed to recall it. Anyway my point of selling is that the Van it is in, I will never get a reasonable sum for, considering the engine, and I have sufficient spares to build a runner for it, hence as I only bought the van and engine for this past summers vacation, I'm trying to reclaim some loss. If I sell it great, if not, I don't care.

AVP wants $1200 I think (down $150 from when I bought it FWIW) plus a $400 core, $1600 outright plus shipping essentially.

I'm asking $1200 outright but will consider offers and interesting trades. You pay shipping obviously, I will pay to pallet it. I feel a 25% reduction in price for an engine used under 10% of it's life is a fair starting point, make me an offer.

John Anderson (304)788-3704 vwbus@netbiz.net JohnD_Anderson@ATK.com