Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Feb 1997 04:54:12 -0500
From:         loudesign@mindspring.com (Louise Christensen)
Subject:      exterior shower  vanagon, additional interior lighting, console, keys

Four subjects:

1.BLIND WITH NO LIGHTS Am planning on installing additional interior lighting, and would be interested to hear others' methods. PLan on going to the local marine store and purchasing long 12v f lights or sliding door area. Hard to believe with all that Westfalia engineering, we can't even have a light when the side door opens at night! Ditto for rear hatch (round light).

2. CONSOLE Am planning on removing plastic shroud around dash under middle section behind stick shift and bolt a tray there for the ubiquitous coffee cup/console use. See any objections (besides clearance, etc.)?

3. SHOWER Have a friend who installed an exterior shower hose, by installing a submersible pump into the water tank. Used same ground as what's in there now. Ran tubing through top of tank; sealed with silicone; ran hose horizontally through top loading storage compartments; up through hanging closet; over top where a/c lines run, and out back. Installed an electic pump switch at top of rear closet (using hot lead from something. Not sure what). Used a low-flow head for pressure. To keep interior dry, used screen with snaps as a template for a shower screen that snaps into same snaps.

Anybody else able to add pros/cons/ifs/ands/ or buts? ! ;*) before I started drilling holes in the bus?

4. WATER TANK There is a small black plastic key which has the teeth broken off, and I cannot open the water tank. Would I be damageing anything if I were to remove the faceplate (hinged and locked) by removing the screws?

Thanks. in advance.

Louise

(BTW, Thanks for all propane advice. I finally got the stove going, and the fridge on 110v but not fridge on propane yet. I recently received the old owner's files, and discovered at least 4 bills from Volkswagon dealers around the country (lierally) with "fridge unable to light" as symptom. Seems he spent about $250 or more trying to get various dealers to light it. They apparently took it out and cleaned jets, et al. Yet, still no luck.)

Also Thanks for all the info re: OIL SWitch On!. Turns out that one of the wires had indeed fatigued in the replacement process on Buddy's bus.

We all finally went camping last weekend. About 10 buses. It was freezing! Buddy ('87) made a batch of fried perch and catfish; homemade peach Cobbler over the fire the old way wasa madw by Andy - ('82) Double Dutch Deep Apple Pies by me ('89); homemade slaw by Caroline ('87), baked potatoes on the fire, homemade fries, homemade fried pickles--(don't laugh till you tired em!), Margaritas,the tall Gold way; Rupert's Special thick cut ribs; homemade cornbread, and .well you get the picture.... We had a ball. It was DANG cold though. Even though Rupert ('78) brought a *trailer* of wood (it was almost a full half cord!). Really. He pulled a trailer of wood up that mountain. Andy drove and hour and a half just to eat some of Buddy's fish, but had to drive back because he was on a "Babywatch." (Grandpa-style. His daughter was about to give birth.) It took us about 45 minutes to get him going after he ran down his second battery by keeping the ice cream cold for his peach cobbler!

Going again this weekend!

L.