Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Feb 1997 12:21:16 -0700 (MST)
From:         Cory Zumbrennen <zumbrenn@ucsu.colorado.edu>
Subject:      Re: VW Alloy Wheels

In order to upgrade to the factory alloy wheels you will need longer lug bolts up front and longer lug studs with different lug nuts in the rear. Unless you have syncro which uses studs/nuts all around. The alloy wheel also needs tapered lug bolts and nuts, not rounded. I'm not sure that this is absolutly necessary but that's what I've been told. The lug bolts off of Saab 9000's work fine, the lug bolts from the Audi 5000 have a rounded head. The only place I have found longer studs that will fir the vanagon besides the VW dealer is BBS. I don't have that part number. Replacing the rear studs is another bother. It seems that your choices are to have someone remove your hub and press out/in you replacement studs, or you can do it yourself. Tim Smith suggested that it is possible to carefully tap the old studs out of the hub while the hub is still attached to the axle. To install the new studs he suggested placing several greased washers onto the stud and then tightening th lug not down until the stud is seated. This would be a lot of fun! I have more time and energy than money though. Hope this helps

Cory '86 Westfalia