Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 04 Feb 1997 11:47:27 +1100
From:         redwood@speedlink.com (redwood)
Subject:      WTB 86+ Westie Full Camper <$9k

Hi, all

Have just joined this list, hoping it will 1] lead me to a mid- late-'80s Westie *full* camper with plenty of miles ~left~ in it; and 2] be a resource where i can learn more about them, for making a good choice, and for giving it the good care and gentle handling that will keep it running. Already this am, after finding the Vanagon FAQ site leading to the archives of this list, i've had quite an introduction to the "leaking heads" problem. :-\

I'm 57, suddenly retired d/t medical problems, thus with limited resources. Located in Sacramento, CA [and noticed in the archives a posting of classified ads from the Sacto Bee]. I've had 2 prev. Type II vans, a 1976 that i enjoyed for 4 years, and a 1973 sunroof that i bought used, and held onto for 2 years until a piston melted, probably my fault for driving 60mph on a 115-degree day. 8-( I'm older and more patient now.

I'd like to find something for no more than $9,000 if possible, including tax & license. Most important is that it be in solid mechanical condition. If it has a recently rebuilt or replaced engine or heads [not totally sure what i should be requesting here], then i could try to dig a little deeper. Cosmetics are not so important, as long as the problems would either not interfere with use, or would yield to TLC. I do not want one that was submerged in the recent NoCA floods [no joke---that's what happened to my '76], or has not received regular maintenance. Can't afford expensive surprises.

The Westie will be my sole transportation. As well as daily, I want to use it both as a camper for short camping trips, and as a kind of "sag wagon" [as in marathons or long bike races] to be able to rest & renew in as needed during the day.

Desired/needed Specs:

AT, PS, AC; popup top, and everything else that is included in a "full camper"

Am willing to follow up on any suggestions within 200 miles or so of Sacramento.

I look forward to participating in this list, which is obviously quite active---i sent the "subscribe" post only an hour or so ago, and have already received 6 posts!

Thaanks,

Gail Sacramento, CA <redwood@speedlink.com>