Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 04 Feb 1997 21:34:35 -0800
From:         Jim Thompson <jim96003@c-zone.net>
Subject:      Re: alternator blues

Tonya Pope wrote: > > Hi all-- > > Well it would appear that my previous post about the freaky alt. and OXS > lights was indeed due to my alternator. It is still working, but not > getting the battery a good charging. I have not been back there to look > at it yet. Kind souls have pointed out that it could just be a corroded > connection (I hope!)

> > Thanks so much everyone for all your help! > Tonya > 87 Vanagon GL Wolfs > 74 S. Beetle

Hi Tonya -

Saw your post and thought I could offer a few tips when checking the alternator:

1. Before removing or checking the wire harness at the alternator (or the alternator itself) disconnect the battery ground strap to prevent sparks and shorts.

2. I know you've probably heard this before, but corrosion could be the culprit, especially where the thick red wire from the battery connects to the B+ stud on the alternator. Remove it and inspect for corrosion - clean it if its possible then re-connect to the alternator. If the corrosion looks like it is "infecting" (best word I could find) where the ring terminal is crimped onto the wire, you may have to replace the ring terminal itself - there should be plenty of wire to cut, strip and re-crimp a new terminal onto it. After reconnecting, put a dab of Vaseline on the stud and ring terminal to help prevent the corrosion.

3. Recently, on my 80 Vanagon, I was having charging problems and traced it to the brush assembly which is part of the voltage regulator (on the back of the alternator - towards FRONT of Van) in where the brushes were very very worn down. My regulator happens to be the same as your 87 (I have an updated alternator on my van) and Bentley says when they're new, they should be about 13mm (19/32") protruding from the brush holder with a wear limit of 5mm (7/32") protruding from the brush holder. Mine were less than 3mm! Replaced it and it definitely helped the charging system. Note: If the end of the brushes are deeply pitted or grooved, forget replacing the regulator, get another alternator, because the slip ring/commutator they're riding on is severly grooved and/or worn and you'll wear the brushes out real quick!

4. Another crazy problem indicative of Vanagons - they have the worst grounding for the battery I've ever seen - A stud (or bolt?) protrudes from the base of the battery box for the strap to attach to with a flimsy, thin washer. And the hidden head of the bolt underneath didn't feel like it makes the greatest ground contact in the world either. I would occasionally lose all power and when wiggling the ground strap it would suddnly come back. Drove me crazy! Got a thicker and wider washer (8mm ID) to make better contact with the stud/bolt and the metal of the battery box floor (scraped the paint away too). When I re-attached the nut, I alternatively tightened, then loosened the nut a few times, then tightened down firmly to make as good a contact as possible. Haven't had a problem since.

My 2cents worth

Jim