Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 04 Feb 1997 23:09:50 -0800
From:         Barbara Sutton <bsutton@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
Subject:      My new '91 Westie update

Thanks to everyone that responded to my last week inagural posting. It seems that the water leak was not a head leak, but a "fitting" that can be easily replaced, which is why the mechanic estimated only $70. After doing some searching in the list, I think he was talking about a plastic flange w/rubber o-ring that should be replaced with a metal one that comes with a gasket, but I'm not sure because he never had a chance to show me the location. Anyway, I am going to have the whole coolant system checked at the local dealership, but it doesn't sound like a major (head) issue.(I can breathe normally now...) The only symptom is that the coolant container's level is gradually going down. Its been a month since I bought the Westie, and I am still overwhelmed by what a great vehicle it is! I don't think I would change it for anything else in the market today. I must confess I have said the same about my faithful '66 kombi, but as one gets older a little bit of comfort and speed (not too much of the latter) are welcome. Anyway, I needed to express my feelings about my new vehicle and the list sounds like the perfect place to do so, since my wife is pretty tired of my VW comments! Some loose items that I would like to address: 1)I've read about a weekend camping trip being organized in the East Coast, and I'm wondering if there is any quorum to do the same here in the Northwest. This is definitely the right area to do it, so we can't loose.(unless it rains, which it does ...)any takers please contact me or post in the list. 2)The best driving experience I've had so far has been a trip from Santa Cruz, CA. to Buenos Aires, Argentina (where I am originally from). Me and 5 others travelled in a '75 Dodge Van along the Pacific coast for 6 months, and I could talk about the trip for ever... Anyway, an idea I always keep alive is to do the same with a VW. I always thought-and still do-that the best VW for this would be an aircooled pre-vanagon bus. You can find parts for these almost anywhere in Latin America. However, being in love with my '91 Westie made me wonder how would it be to do the trip with one of these later beasts. Any comments, questions or similar experiences? 3)The Westie came with an aluminum running board (step) under the sliding door that really looks like an "official" accesory. I am not too interesed in keeping it because it is attached to the car at the jack's brackets, consequently I am not able to use the jack on the right side. Also, it limits the clearance from the ground, which can come handy in case of mud, snow, bad roads, etc. Anyone interested? I don't even know how much it would cost, but I guess I could find out. Believe me, it looks very nice and serves its purpose. 4)As a result of the mentioned running board, the ex-owner took the mud flap that goes behind the front/passenger tire. Where can I get one? 5)Finally, I should clarify that Barbara's name (my wife) shows up on my messages because I am using her e-mail account, but it is me (Cris)the one who you are reading from. By the way, is there a way to send the list's postings to a special folder? Barbara hates to have to go through them while looking for hers... Sorry for the length. I could keep writing for a long time, but for now this will do...Cheers, Cris.