Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Feb 1997 12:11:02 -0400 (AST)
From:         smitht@unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: squeaking bushings

>mostly just the annoyance factor right now but that eventually it >will effect the handling, in about six months, Thanks for any advice,

In 2WD the bushes are welded in, must be ground loose and then new welded in. hence the $$$. In Syncros they slide/press in/out. Don't know why this diff. Annyone?

Mine were squeaking like hell, so I laid into them with every kind of spray lube I could find, silicone, WD-40, white grease, rust proofer. And I pounded the front on bumps on every occasion to get the bushes to travel to their max and loosen/soak up. Plus respray couple of times a week. Took 2-3 weeks for them to quieten down. They are still 'quiet' now, 2yrs later. Slight groan, but I haven't lubed them again either.

You can remove the nut/washer on upper arm and twist them around a bit while lubing. This will affect wheel camber so get them back where they were!! I think it is the shaft seizing inside the bush that leads to the squeak from the bush then rotating in its outside housing. If that keeps up it will get sloppy, your mech was right. You need to break the inner bonding that has occured. By pounding the front on bumps I mean getting airborne and then sinking the front on landing, Syncros is fun :) Tim