Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Feb 1997 18:31:10 +0200
From:         "Richard Lumb" <richard.lumb@dlr.de>
Subject:      Re: Electric confusion

Jim Maginel wrote:

> Since the subject of auxillary batteries has come up, I also would like > advice on 1)how to best use the auxillary in my 85 "weekender", as it > appears that all it is hooked to is the extra ciglighter for the removable > frig, which I do not intend to use. I feel that it would be beneficial to > use one battery for ignition purposes only, and run everything else off the > second battery? or should I just wire them together, and if so, what is the > purpose of a "relay"?

I went through this process not long after buying my '86 Westy Multivan (same as Weekender in USA?). One particularly nasty night in Scotland led to the discovery that everything except one aux socket was on the 'main' starter battery: interior flourescent strips, petrol/gasoline heater, the lot. Next morning - no start and a battery swap required :-(. I subsequently rewired the 'house' electrics (fridge, strip lights, heater, fresh water pump etc) onto the aux battery via an additional fuse box put under the driver's seat. The 'auto' electrics I left well alone on the prime battery, in the interest of simplicity!

You may want to leave it at that - but be aware that repeated deep discharge (e.g 4hrs plus of fridge use) of a standard starter battery sends it to a very early grave: better to use a marine or leisure battery specifically designed for repeated deep discharging. I couldn't find a deep cycle battery that would fit in the box under the seat so ended up putting two in parallel under the rear-facing seat (180 ampere-hour capacity) and keeping the original aux battery where it was. _Another_ one of those relays required! Now there's always a fully charged battery available even if the fridge gets left on all night with the headlights!

All that the relay does is isolate the batteries from each other when they are not being charged from the alternator. They charge together but flattening one battery does not take the other(s) with it. Useful!

Since the space under the rear-facing seat was being eaten up anyway, I've also added a mains hook up with RCD fusebox and battery charger - I'm _really_ paranoid about running out of sparks.

BTW, anyone know the cost of solar panels? :-)

HTH Regards, Rich Lumb '86 Westy