Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 01 Feb 1997 21:01:41 -0800
From:         Thad Hunkins <hunkins@mbay.net>
Subject:      Family Camper

Hi all, I sent a message asking for advice on a particular VW I'm looking at (86GL Vanagon,2.1L,110k,rebuilteng,7seater,foldbed,$3900). Thought I'd relate what we decided on for camping. If you recall, I was interested in a full camper with pop top and would seat 7. Basically the answer was--Not all in one. At least not by VW. You can get close. But seating 6 with the full camper is all you can get. By the way, this is all info I got from MANY MANY people from this group. Thanks again to everyone. I got one letter from Norman Leong (thank you!) who turned me onto a place in San Jose called Country Home Campers. Basically it is a custom camper place and he specializes in VWs, Ford Aerostars, and Chevy Astrovan conversions. He puts on:

Pop top Fridge/sink/stove combo Tables Any cabinetry you desire Curtains and similar amenities Lots of other extras (luggage racks, awnings, tents that attach to the rear for camping, pottys, tinting, TV, etc. etc. --really just about anything you want!)

2 neat things: First neat thing is the sink/stove/fridge is made so it doesn't block any of that rear big seat, so you can sit 3 easily back there. He is gonna put in another seat belt for us so you can even seat 4 (I couldn't believe how big that seat was) on the rear seat in a pinch. It's actually not that big of a pinch either. We will also have one of those rear facing seats behind the front passenger. That makes 7! Yeah! Second neat thing is that, unlike the Vanagon camper models, this sink/stove/fridge unit is completely removable--fairly easily (It gets easier the more you do it). We will also have the bench seat that can go back (of course, pull the rear facing seat out) in when the "camper unit" is out so we can seat 7 comfortably and (with that 4th seatbelt across the rear seat) 8 in a pinch.

Anyway, that's it. On solution for a family who wants a minivan some of the time and a camper some of the time. I got a lot of mail from people who had a similar interest so I thought I'd post to the whole group. The prices, of course, vary upon what you're gonna put in your particular custom build, but I'm probably gonna pay around 7 - 8K. With a 4K vehicle, I don't see that as being unreasonable since I get exactly what I want. And it sure isn't $37,000 for the new EV.

If I can help in anyway, please E-mail me. I am very grateful for all the extensive advice I have gotten from this group.

Thanks all...Thad