Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Feb 1997 12:33:25 -0800
From:         bayer@sybase.com (David Bayer)
Subject:      Re: '87 low RPM/idle problems.

>| If I nudge the RMPs up to 1200 or so (using gas pedal) RPMs repeatedly >| drift down, in cycles, every few seconds. This happens warm or cold. I >| think this makes initial acceleration through the low RPMs sluggish.

Do you take your foot off the gas, or does it drift down while yor foot is still on the pedal? If it drifts down while your foot is still on the pedal, this all sounds like your throttle switch is out of adjustment. See below. If your throttle switch does not click (take the engine lid off so you can hear it) as soon as you apply ANY pressure to the pedal, it is out of adjustment. It opening point is speced at .002 to .004 inches of throttle movement measured between the throttle stop screw and the plate that scew hits. To set it right, you need a set of feeler guages, to set it near right, make the switch close as soon as pressure is put on the throttle arm thingy (the piece the accelerator cable clamps into) but with enough play so that when you pull the throttle arm out and let it return, the switch closes. The right way to check this is with a multimeter set to check resistance connected across the two pins in that little white connector right behind (and behind means toward the back of the car) the throttle housing itself. The not so right way, but will do in a pinch way is just to use the clicking of the switch to determine when it is open and closed (that is if yor switch clicks audibly)

dave