Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Feb 1997 02:13:22 -0500 (EST)
From:         Taylrbc@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Questions About Buying Diesel Westi

mdstockr@neo.lrun.com writes..

I previously owned an 84 gas van, and now own a 83 diesel Westi. My diesel motor was overheated by previous owner @110k miles, It is now at 196 k miles and have not had to remove the motor yet. This contrasts with my 84 gas engine needing some major repair about once per year. These diesel engines lack electronic controls and don't have much to go wrong. I have driven mine to Mexico twice, get about 400 miles per tank, fully loaded. I think if you keep the oil changed every 3000, and don't overheat, 150 k mi should be a reasonable mileage for the motor. Also timing belt needs to be replaced about every 60-75k miles.

>> - Are they rebuildable? A good rebuild seems to run about $1100-1200 ,parts are available.

>> - Any potential design problems? Some people have had head gasket leaks, I haven't experienced that yet.

I am not sure what I would consider a design problem versus a less than desireable characteristic. Diesel engines have more noise and vibration than gas engines. Power output is low, VW should have imported the turbodiesel model to the US. I have added the turbo and manifolds from a Quantum to my camper. It would be better to get a complete turbodiesel motor, all though not all models fit. The turbo helps climbing hills, and keeping up with traffic, but the conversion is time consuming and not cheap.

>> - What should I look for when considering a used diesel Vanagon? As far as what to look for when buying a used Diesel Westi. Check for the usual maintenance and repair record history. Take one out on the freeway and experience the acceleration,noise level and top speed.

I have an '83, it seems most others in the US are '82 models. Try and find the 5 speed as I have seen other comments posted about limited freeway speeds.

Hope this helps, Brent