Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Feb 1997 14:14:02 -0500 (EST)
From:         Tom Guptill <tgpt@pas.rochester.edu>
Subject:      FS: '74 Bus & 90 Jetta / WTB: Diesel Vanagon

Well, after much thought I've come to some decisions regarding a great many things. One of those things is my choice of a vehicle. I've decided that as much as I like my Bus, I don't have the skills necessary to keep it running as a daily driver, nor can I continue to justify owning two cars. I want the reliability of my old diesel Rabbit with the road-trip-worthiness of my bus. So, here are the specifics:

'90 Jetta GL 4-door Auto about 125k miles made in Germany new starter about 1000 miles ago have most repair records includes service manual no radio body solid; one rust spot on rear of trunk missing a few trim pieces (fender thingies, etc.) good tires rear brakes & cyls replaced in Nov. sunroof non-working A/C (probably just needs a charge) non-working cruise control (hasn't worked since speedometer replacement) no radio (it got stolen twice, and I gave up)

Registered, titled, and NYS inspected.

asking $2500/offer

This was my mom's car before I got it. She used it to commute from Andover to Concord (NH) every day. 110,000 of those 125,000 miles are hers, and I've had the car for two years. It's been a family car; it's fairly well-maintained, but it's not spotless. Both of my younger brothers learned to drive in it. Overall, though, it's in nice shape and I'm kinda hesitant to part with it, but it's not especially comfortable to sleep in on long trips. :) The exhaust is getting noisy, but I'll get that replaced under Midas warranty before selling it. The other issue is that the car has *metric* instrumentation. My speedometer died right around the time my friend's metric scirocco got nailed by a u-haul truck; we swapped the instrument clusters and rolled the metric one ahead to make it accurate. It currently reads about 202,000km. (If I were going to lie about the mileage, I doubt I'd be saying it had 125k. :) )

'74 plain-old-Bus

pancake engine (I don't think it's the original one) includes spare engine which runs but has low compression on one cyl. dual carbs; includes set of fancy Dellorto carbs (not installed) good tires body fairly solid; some rust, but nothing terrible needs some stuff: heater boxes and exhaust brake work (has new front pads, but may have a leak somewhere) serious tune-up includes several spare wheels and tires includes large box of various random parts 115k miles on odo; doesn't seem unrealistic

Title is clear and in my name. Not currently registered or inspected. (Would fail NYS inspection if you took it in today.)

asking $900/offer

Overall I think it's in solid shape. I drove it all over the northeast this summer; Philly, DC, Virginia, etc. It's nice on the highway, doesn't run too hot (our philly trip was in 90+ weather), and gives you that nifty bus feeling when you're driving it. (And no, it wasn't the exhaust fumes!) I have not driven it since late October when I moved my plates/insurance to the Jetta.

Note that I would be willing to trade either or both +/- cash for a diesel Vanagon or *possibly* a diesel Dasher wagon. (Although I'm unlikely to give you both the Jetta and the bus for a Dasher unless it's in *awfully* good condition.)

If anyone is interested in either of my vehicles or in selling a Vanagon or Dasher (diesel ONLY), please let me know...

- Tom

-- Tom Guptill tgpt@pas.rochester.edu UNIX SA 104 B&L RC Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Rochester