Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 07 Feb 1997 14:34:49 -0500
From:         Rich Burdick <rburdick@voyageronline.net>
Subject:      Re: Questions--Re: WTB 86+ Westie Full Camper (long)

> 1. What are alloy wheels, and why do people go to such lengths to > get them?

Those of us who *tweek* our vans, frequently want 'better' looks, more versatility in tires sizes, or some such. As with anything that is rare, prices soar. VW only made one set of wheels that are cast out of a light-weight aluminum alloy instead of being the heavier stamped steel. The steel wheels have plastic wheel covers, or 'hub-caps', that some of us think fall off, break, or get scratched up too much. So, thus the 'hunt' for alloy wheels.

I have a syncro (4 wheel drive) camper van, and like to get way back in the way back of nowhere to camp (I frequently go where many folks in Jeeps don't go). I need more clearance, larger, more rugged tires, stiffer suspension, and, in general, a brain transplant. ;)

So, I want 15" instead of 14" diameter rims, 6" instead of 5.5" width, and something that looks 'cool' and doesn't fall off when I bounce over a house-sized boulder.

> 2. What is an ECU? I gather it has to do with fuel injection. Are > they fragile?

This is the 'computer' (Electronic Control Unit) that regulates such things as spark firing and fuel to air mixture. Without it you don't go. Period.

Are they fragile? NO. Not compared with most other makes of vehicles. But, if one *does* go out, then it's very expensive - and most of us bought VW's instead of Lamborgini's because we had only a 'little' money! :)

Also, if you notice, we VW van drivers think that a vehicle is just getting broke in around 300K miles or so. I've had 3 vans, my low milage one is 135K, the highest one was an 1987 Syncro Camper, and I managed to get a little over 500K on that in about 4 years before my ex took it.

Out of about 1,000,000 miles on these three vans, I've had to replace one ECU. And I got that one used for $200.00. (But I may have another one going bad, haven't determined that yet.)

> And the serious one: > > 3. One of the attractions for me of a VW bus is the reputation for > durability and economy. Has that been lost by the Vanagon generation? The > reason i've set my sights on an '85 or newer is that I need power steering > as well as AT due to physical disability, which is also the reason for my > strictly limited budget.

No. These things are 'tanks'! But they are VW's, and not made here in the states anymore. (Since '91) And we rather feel abandoned by VW. Also, for some reason, there seems to be a lot less in the way of aftermarket parts for Vanagons than for many other makes of vehicles.

> a. am I on a fool's errand, hoping to find for $8-9k a full camper > as late as '86 or so, in decent condition? I looked at an '89 the other > day, advertised with a new reblt engine with a 3yr-36k warranty, at $12,995, > thinking the warranty would be valuable, but it was a *dog*! Stank of smoke > and mildew and looked severely abused, like someone had let loose a circular > saw in there, and it just kept going, bouncing around off the cabinets, > etc., hacking and gouging wherever it landed.

Again, no. Keep looking. I bought an '85 full camper (Westfalia) in beautiful condition for $6,200, and an '86 syncro for about $6,000. Both have needed maintenance, and some repairs, but less than you'd expect for 10 year old vehicles, and *much* less than you'd expect for the amount of miles on them.

> b. More seriously, reading of the quests some of you have had to > undertake to get certain parts, and the frequency with which, it appears, > engines need to be rebuilt before going even 100k -- is it a given, with a > Vanagon, that maintenance expenses will be frequent and high?

I don't keep meticulous records, like many on this list speak of, but I do keep my vehicles well maintained, and try to fix things *before* they get serious. In about 1,000,000 miles, on three vehicles, I have not yet rebuilt an engine. The two I'm running now both run well, one has a 1.9 with about 300K on the engine, and the other has a 2.1 with over 200K.

> My sense is that, by definition, this list is made up of devotees, many of > whom may be perfectionists. I do not intend to offend anyone by these > questions, but does the average Vanagon driver, or more particularly someone > with more time than money [but *no* mechanical experience to speak of, > except from the wrong side of the cash register :-( ], have to be on > constant alert for failing heads and ECU's and CV's, etc.?

While I *can* do mechanic work, my skills and experience falls more in the '60's and '70's Chevy small block area, and I can almost find my way around a VW engine compartment. I can change the plugs, and the oil filter (but I'm not sure where to find the drain plug). I'm very intellegent, smart, (and my wife even thinks good looking, but I think she's *strongly* biased) but I just don't have the time nor inclination to do my own work. I've got a good shop, I get to know my mechanics well, but I don't pay high prices, and I get good service.

As an example: I just picked up one of my vans, the shifter had gotten too loose for me to trust the van with someone else driving (check that mileage above ... :) ). I had the shifter completely rebuilt with factory parts, the oil & filter changed, some work done on the front suspension, and a couple of other little things checked out/adjusted - my total bill: $110.00

Sounds like a 'Westy' candidate to me. Keep looking, and good luck. I'm a serious Westy-Syncro addict, but I certainly couldn't handle a 'hippiemobile' either. :) -- Rich Burdick (rburdick@voy.net) Burdick Development 5906 Ooltewah-Ringgold Road, #N14 Ooltewah, TN 37363 (423) 238-6690