Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Feb 1997 18:21:51 -0500 (EST)
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Vanagon Heat Vents - Update

Hi all, Last week there was a little discussion about getting heat from the dash vents (not the defroster vents) in Vanagons.

I stated that 87 & earlier vans could only produce non-heated air from these vents, and that heated air from these vents was a feature that began with the 1988 models.

A couple of people wrote to prove me wrong. I've gathered a little more info and can say with a little certainty that this change was made in mid 1987. Here's what I know about some 87s and their dash heat

My (Jim Davis) 87 Syncro: VIN 007589, No heat, USA model A friends 87 Wolfsburg: VIN 050426, No heat, USA model Dave's 87 Wolfsburg: VIN 060438, Has HEAT, USA model Tim Smith's 87: VIN 069457, Has HEAT, Canadian model

>From these four data points it appears that between #50426 and 60438 they made a change to allow heat from these vents.

Any other 87 Vanagon owners want to add a few more data points to test this hypothesis?

If so, just send me the last 6 digits of your VIN, the country of original sale and whether or not your 87 produces heat from the two vents on the face of the dash.

Regards, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg

Tim