Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Feb 1997 19:26:07 -0500 (EST)
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Questions--Re: WTB 86+ Westie Full Camper (long)

In a message dated 97-02-07 13:43:08 EST, redwood@speedlink.com (redwood) writes:

> 1. What are alloy wheels,

Wheels made of aluminum alloy. These are the look of wheel that the wheel covers on steel wheels are trying to mimic.

>and why do people go to such lengths to get them?

They look MUCH better that the steel ones. Theoretically they're also lighter, but I couldn't make a real arguement on those grounds.

> 2. What is an ECU?

Electronic Control Unit. The engine's "brain", the computer.

> I gather it has to do with fuel injection.

They control the fuel injection duration, and timing.

>Are they fragile?

I've heard of a few failures, but I've heard more often where a shop says that they've "checked everything else" and it must be the ECU. After replacing the ECU the problem persists and then they really do "check everything else".

> 3. One of the attractions for me of a VW bus is the reputation for > durability and economy. Has that been lost by the Vanagon generation? The > reason i've set my sights on an '85 or newer is that I need power steering > as well as AT due to physical disability, which is also the reason for my > strictly limited budget.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest that you try to stay with the 86 & newer vans since they have a larger and more powerful (still underpowered) 2.1L engine and a revised coolant flow system that seems to cause fewer problems than the earlier vans.

As far as durability goes, if you're considering an 86, you're dealing with an 11 year old car with likely 100,000 to 200,000 miles on it. Nothing that age is going to be bullet proof. That said, the one problem that watercooled Vanagons have that doesn't seem to be nearly as much of a problem in other cars is leaking head gaskets. Corrosion pits the surface of the head under the head gasket until a passageway for a leak is formed and a leak occurs. This seem to happen most often between 70,000 and 130,000 miles. I've heard of it as soon as 50,000 miles and have heard of vans still without a problem at 200,000 miles. With any watercooled Vanagon inquire about the condition of the heads and if/when they were replaced.

Keep looking, there are deals out there. Go to Classifieds 2000 at: http://www.classifieds2000.com and use their "Cool Notify" feature. They will send you an email each time a vehicle meeting your request is listed.

> b. More seriously, reading of the quests some of you have had to > undertake to get certain parts, and the frequency with which, it appears, > engines need to be rebuilt before going even 100k -- is it a given, with a > Vanagon, that maintenance expenses will be frequent and high?

I have not heard of many engines being rebuilding before 100,000 miles. Some heads replaced, yes. Rebuilt engines, rare.

> My sense is that, by definition, this list is made up of devotees, many of > whom may be perfectionists. I do not intend to offend anyone by these > questions,

I'm certainly not offended. I think the vast majority of people on this list, while loving their vans, are pretty frank about their van's faults.

> but does the average Vanagon driver, or more particularly someone > with more time than money [but *no* mechanical experience to speak of, > except from the wrong side of the cash register :-( ], have to be on > constant alert for failing heads and ECU's and CV's, etc.?

A bit. Heads: occasionally, ECUs: rarely, CVs: like most other cars with CV joints. Of course Camper models come with a host of non-car items also like: refrigerator, stove, fresh water pump, etc. I don't have any experience with these Camper items.

<snip>

> Gail [who is truly seeking advice, and intending no offense]

[list spokesperson mode: ON] I'm sure no offense is taken. [list spokesperson mode: OFF] :-)

Good luck, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg