Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Feb 1997 18:54:23 -0800
From:         bayer@sybase.com (David Bayer)
Subject:      <Syncro> viscous coupling fluid wishes

>| Ths Syncro viscous coupling acts like an automatically locking differential >| with a fairly short modulation duration between open and locked. >| >From the description of the Jeep/Talon fluid it sounds like that unit acts >| like a limited slip differential, with the amount of slip determined by the >| viscosity of the fluid chosen.

I think someone addressed this earlier, but I would love a new improved locking diff, that instead of just being a differential, was somehow encased or built around a VC. When most of the time, the two sides of the diff would be turning within say 6% or so of each other (if 6% would say give one a little room in even the tightest of corner situations), so the VC would stay in its liquid, nonload transmitting state. When one side of the drive wheels slip, the two sides of the differential spin with a difference above 6% and the VC locks up and sends power to the non slipping wheel (hopefully without a jerk big enough to cause it to lose traction). This would provide an automatic locking differential right? I can dream I guess... This is how I thought the syncro was actually designed before I started thinking I might get one someday... 3 VCs, one between rear and front final drives, and one across each diff. That would be a real all wheel drive car no? Now I guess one could argue about the need for automatic locking diffs (especially if there was any jerk involved when the VC locked up) since if one tire just started spinning, there is a good chance the other side of the same ahhh, transaxle (is that right? The other wheel in the same front back position just other side of the car in the driver/passenger grouping) is going to start slipping I would think... And so I can understand why the current locking diff should be "as good as your gonna get"...

dave