Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Feb 1997 04:05:56 -0500
From:         gthaxter@msdcorp.com (Gary E Thaxter)
Subject:      Re: <Syncro> viscous coupling fluid !

Every time this comes up, it gets more aggravating. I'm no mechanical engineer, nor am I a chemical genius or silicone fluid professional, I don't even own a Syncro . . . yet.

However it all seems very simple to me. A Viscous Coupling is a COUPLING, not a differential. A DIFFERENTIAL PROVIDES SLIP UNDER LOAD (ie cornering) A VISCOUS COUPLING LOCKS UP UNDER LOAD AND provides SLIP under NORMAL CONDITIONS. The two are completely opposite.

The VC in a Syncro takes the place of a transfer case does it not? It allows you to drive in 2wd when appropriate, then mechanically engages the front drive, without actually having to engage gears in a gearbox. It also, because it is fluid, reduces wear on the drivetrain (gears don't "give"). I see no differential action taking place here and I don't see why everyone keeps bringing it up.

If the silicone fluid had exactly opposite properties, and would lock a VC under normal conditions, providing limited slip under stress, then it would have application in a differential set up. This may be what the Jeep/Talon setup actually does. . .?

How often have any of you Syncro owners had to change a VC? Is it often enough that it makes it not worthwhile owning one? I am currently looking at an 86 Syncro that I can probably get for about $3500 (canadian), but if I am going to have to spend that much again in 3 months when things start getting muddy (glorious mud :~) ) to replace a VC, or go on the never ending search for silicone fluid, then whats the use? If there was a source for the fluid in North America, then wouldn't a car company have a vehicle out that uses a Viscous Coupling? (NOT a viscous DIFFERENTIAL) I think that one of our european listees could probably find some. . . At over $3000 a piece, a couple of us could get together and pay for a nice North American vaction for Helmut, providing he brings over a couple of gallons of silicone fluid. . .

Gary Thaxter 74 transporter (panel) 85 transporter (kombi?) looking at an 86 syncro and now a 91 cargo van

Anyone know what kind of setup the Subaru uses? What about the "electronic 4wd" you see on ford aerostars and such? What about the 400hp porsche AWD??