Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         08 Feb 97 06:00:24 EST
From:         "Turner,Ronald L." <102660.66@CompuServe.COM>
Subject:      Re: SA Rear windows- hey, they open

> - The side body panels are looking same, except the small body > cladding at the front door. This body cladding are available > as after-market on full length of the van. Note that SA Vanagons > have no right sliding door. > - I think the trim indentation only looking like gone, this could > be more an effect of the picture.

This is no effect of lighting on the picture - I looked at the image 'till my eyes got buggy, and yes, Unca Joel was right - there is no "ledge" under the windows all around the van. So it is indeed a slightly different body. Notice the line of the door where it meets the pillar behind it. See a ledge? No - it's missing.

> - The rear intake is an additional plastic part. This is available > as an after-market too. And it fits the German Vanagons. I saw > it mounted on a van. And on my feeling, it is looking odd.

Are you talking about the black plastic rear air intake grilles? these were standard in the US on pretty much all '82 up Vanagons.

> When you look carefully at the right and left edge > of the upper grille, it looks like they are coming a little bit > forward then the regular we know. Taking this into account I guess > the upper face of the SA Kombi around the upper grille comes a > little bit out and makes the face more rounded.

When you say "upper face" do you mean the sheetmetal up front ( ie, the front clip) is different from German Made V-gons? If so, do you think this could pose a problem with mounting a SA grille on a German van???

> - I do not wonder, VW SA only makes left-hand driven cars.

What do you mean by this? SA is RHD.

chris