Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 08 Feb 1997 11:51:31
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (Ron Salmon)
Subject:      PopTop Seals are In!  (*A few extra are still avail.*)

The poptop seals came last night!

Finally seeing them "for real", I'm more than satisfied with the fit and quality (especially for the cheap price!). The finish is smooth, not quite as smooth as the OEM seal, but much closer than any of the other aftermarket ones, which all have a "bumpy" finish. As you may recall, at the last minute I decided to pay a bit extra for a 1/8" taller seal, after learning that WCM's spec was taller than the Whitney/BusBoys/McMasterCarr seal. I'm glad I did, after trying one myself this morning. On my poptop, when you remove the original seal, the area that was hidden by the original seal is a different shade (less weathered?) than the rest of the poptop. This new seal just barely covers that entire area. If I'd ordered the smaller Whitney-sized seal it would have left a visible line where the original poptop seal had been. The original VW seal does not have an "insulation bulb" on the inside, just a small (maybe 1/8") lip at the inside bottom. The Whitney/etc seal has an insulation bulb near the middle inside of the seal. The one I got (again, based on WCM's spec) places it near the bottom instead, roughly where that little OEM "lip" would have been, supposedly for a tighter seal. My one complaint is that the luggage rack seal (for those '74-up Westies that use one) lacks the "insulation bulb" (unlike the WCM seal). The explanation is that it is unneccessary to insulate that section, since it does not open up into the interior. I suppose I'll buy that, especially since the original VW seal didn't use a bulb either, although I wonder why WCM's does (unless it was just for the simplicity of using the same part number for both seals).

Anyway, I'm going to start boxing them up over the weekend and send them out sometime next week, so you can judge for yourselves. I'd like your feedback, because I could get these again (albeit at a bit higher cost, since it would be in smaller quantity).

If you want one, and didn't order one at the time, let me know. I did order a *few* extra in case of stragglers. Price is $38 plus UPS for the complete set. (This compared to about $120 for a WCM set). Fits all years. See the archives or e-mail me for more info. If you went in on the deal but haven't sent money yet, please do, as I had to pay COD. (Got majorly ripped on shipping, by the way. The supplier advised using common carrier rather than UPS because of the number of boxes, saying it would be cheaper. In fact, it was almost double UPS's rate! Last time I take somebody's word for that! Be warned!)

Thanks, Ron Salmon