Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Feb 1997 17:54:39 -0400 (AST)
From:         smitht@unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: <Syncro> viscous coupling fluid !

>not a differential. A DIFFERENTIAL PROVIDES SLIP UNDER LOAD (ie cornering) >A VISCOUS COUPLING LOCKS UP UNDER LOAD AND provides SLIP under NORMAL >CONDITIONS. The two are completely opposite.

yup, but the VC in a Syncro is acting as a (centre) differential to keep the driveshaft from winding up due to different front/rear axle speeds. I can see how a permanently sticky fluid would work just fine as a coupling and diff. It will always transmit power, up to its designed capacity, but if the coupling was being stalled by turning radius effect then it would have enough give to act as a differential. Thus the diff function becomes an 'overload' condition, while normally power is transmitted. We are all assuming that the VC doesn't transmit any power to front wheels when going straight ahead, and that is true, regardless of fluid viscosity, since no shear = no power transmission. So a very thick OR very thin fluid would be fine. A thick fluid would transmit power the minute it became sheared, like cornering/wheelspin, while the thin fluid never would.

>How often have any of you Syncro owners had to change a VC? Is it often >enough that it makes it not worthwhile owning one? I am currently looking >at an 86 Syncro that I can probably get for about $3500 (canadian), but not often, but enough have gone to scare hell out of me. At $2800 dealer, $1400 aftermarket, any form of insurance is worth checking on. They fail from overheating and/or from contamination. Low oil in front diff means thay can't dump their heat out properly and they die. Silt/water in front diff means extra effort pushing the front axle, and they again heat/die. Or they may leak!

>think that one of our european listees could probably find some. . . At >over $3000 a piece, a couple of us could get together and pay for a nice

the couplings are well over $1K in Europe. Worth parting out a Syncro just to get a spare coupling. Where'd you say you saw that $3500 Syncro anyhow? ;> Tim